We invite you to take a moment to imagine a series of events that could occur in YOUR LIFE that might bring you to a day in the future where…
YOU FACE HOMELESSNESS WITH NOWHERE or NO ONE TO TURN TO
There are many painful losses and traumas on the journey towards homelessness. By the time you are living in your car, on someone’s couch, camping, or living in the cheapest motel room you can find, you are most likely exhausted and nearly overwhelmed by the uncertainty of your future.
Homelessness occurs through 2 primary and often intersecting means:
- TRIGGER EVENTS: Loss of a financially-contributing partner, loss of income, death of a loved one, and/or sudden loss of health (accident or injury), even loss of transportation
- THE SLOW SLIDE: Aging, chronic poverty, debt build-up (lifestyle and/or medical expenses become larger than income) and the progressive de-stabilizing of employment, housing, and/or family relationships.
WARNING: When we face overwhelming circumstances WITH NO SUPPORT — such as homelessness and PRE-homelessness – mental anguish and stress can result in desperate actions, hopelessness/self-harm thoughts, and vulnerability to substance abuse.
Our Response: The H.E.A.R.T. Resource Center
H.E.A.R.T. acronym: Hope, Empowerment, Advocacy, Respect and Transitional housing
- SUPPORT SERVICES: One-on-one guidance, counseling, access to tangible services and direct financial and housing assistance.
- Support is delivered with respect and in an empowering encouraging way.
- MESSAGING: Crucial, Positive, RESPECTFUL, and SUPPORTIVE Messaging is delivered IMMEDIATELY:
- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, THERE IS HOPE, THIS IS TEMPORARY, YOU GOT THIS/YOU WILL MAKE IT, WE ARE HERE TO PARTNER WITH YOU, LET’S TAKE THIS ONE STEP AT A TIME, TODAY YOU ARE OK
- PROVEN OUTCOMES:
- In addition to tangible support, when an individual’s INNER RESOURCES — creativity, intelligence, motivation/determination/intent, self-confidence, self-advocacy, positive self-care and stress management, etc — are UNLOCKED and RE-ENGAGED through our signature H.E.A.R.T. approach,
A re-stabilized happy life after homelessness is possible!
AND… when you courageously walk through the door
of the HEART Resource Center, you receive this message:
Our Message to You Today
Our acronym H.E.A.R.T. stands for Hope, Empowerment, Advocacy, Respect and Transitional housing:
H We encourage you to have HOPE. You are not alone and although you may be experiencing temporary stress and pressure, you are strong and capable of making positive changes in your life. Each day is a new day.
E We encourage you to make EMPOWERING CHOICES and access all the support and resources our organization and our community has to offer.
A We encourage you to ADVOCATE for yourself by setting and pursuing goals and dreams.
R We encourage you to diligently practice self-RESPECT and RESPECT for others by choosing healthy and positive ways of coping with the pressures of your current circumstances. Ask about our counseling services and support groups.
T We encourage you to view your circumstances as temporary and TRANSITIONAL. We access, create and utilize community-based housing solutions and do not operate an emergency shelter. Ask about HEART House, our new transitional residence for single women and single women with children. HEART House is scheduled to open this Spring.